October 23, 2011

five weeks

Week 1
Monday September 19 – pre-op appointments.
Meet with a PA and PT. Find out surgery time. 7:30 am. Must check in at 5:30 I weigh in at 143.
Tuesday, September 20 – surgery day.
Wednesday, September 21 – therapy day.
            PT has me out of bed and standing for a bit. Fighting severe nausea.
Thursday, September 22 – therapy day.
Still fighting nausea. PT gets me up and walking. I get a shower for the first time since Tuesday morning. Bliss. I’m disconnected from the pain killer pump.
Friday, September 23 – discharge day.
            I learn how to maneuver the stairs and basic independent living how-to’s.
Saturday, September 24 – first home day
Mom arrives. I am heavily medicated.

Week 2
Sunday, September 25 – home day
            More heavy medication.
Monday, September 26 – home day.
            More heavy medication.
Tuesday, September 27 – ambulance ride
            My first outing. MIL and I take Sam to Urgent care. He has thrush.
Having not had a BM since my surgery, I take some things to get the ball rolling. This results in me pretty much collapsing on the toilet. An ambulance arrives, picks me up and hauls me away. I am admitted to the hospital after blood counts show I had less than half the blood I’m supposed to. I get 2 units throughout the night.
Wednesday, September 28 – hospital day
            Boring, unproductive and medicated day.
Thursday, September 29 – home again.
I am given another shower. The funny motherly Hispanic CNA strips me and gives me a scrubbing. Awkward but refreshing. After a visit from PT and more blood draws, I am cleared to go home.
Friday, September 30 – post-op.
I take my first solo shower. I feel oddly alone. Oh, this is called privacy, that’s right. Another trip to OHSU. Meet with PA. I weigh in at 137.
Saturday, October 1 – bye-bye mom.
            Mom leaves. Samuel has decided he doesn’t want to nurse anymore after all this time on the bottle.

Week 3
Sunday, October 2 – walking.
I take a few steps today without holding onto anything. A little pain but not bad. I get a little better at it throughout the week.
Monday – Friday (3-7)
Normal home stuff. MIL is home this week to watch over the kids. I get out to the store with FIL once (Wed) to get some needed items for the kids – and get my first lesson in motorized carts. I go a full week until having another BM.
Saturday, October 8 – outing.
My first big outing – the zoo. On our way we pick up different pain killers in hopes of me not being so fuzzy headed and constipated. At the zoo, I’m wheeled around in a wheelchair by various members of the family.

Week 4
Sunday, October 9 – homecoming.
Today we make the drive back to Medford. The kids are cranky, I am sore, and the drive seemed to take forever. But, we make it in one piece.
Monday-Friday (10-14) – the deluge of help begins
Thanks to a couple of amazing ladies, there are women scheduled to be here to help me and the children from 8-4:30 every day. Not only that, but suppers are brought each night. Blessings are flowing! Friday I begin home PT. I’m still not having regular or normal BMs.
Saturday, October 15 – church day.
We make it to church today. Lovely outing. Then home, leftovers from throughout the week, and brownies. Package from Naturopathic Dr arrives.

Week 5
Sunday, October 16 – normal day.
It almost feels like a normal Sunday around the house. Only I’m around the sofa mostly. I start the natural pain relievers and cut off all other meds in hopes my head and digestive system can clear out.
Monday, October 17 – natural day.
First day with just natural stuff. Seems to be ok… This week there is another deluge of daily help and suppers this week.
Tuesday, October 18 – meet the wall.
I kind of hit a wall. And melt down. With the drugs totally out of my system I find the natural remedy doesn’t cut the pain much at all. I fight through it until I can’t handle the pain anymore and try small doses of the narcotics. They don’t work quickly. I spend most of the day in a crying funk. I am totally nauseated from using the bathroom.
I have home PT and start using my cane.
Wednesday, October 19 – more funk.
I have to stop breaking the pills in half and take a whole. This is still less than I was taking. Hoping to find a balance. Again I spend the day nauseated and crying.
Thursday, October 20 – light day.
This morning starts as the last 2 did. More tears. I decide to take a shower, and had an unexpected but much needed chat with God. It went a little like this:
Me: “God, I can’t do this anymore. I can’t even stand up… I don’t have an ounce of strength left.”
God: “I am very strong.”
Me: “I’m not. I’m so weak.”
God: “I can give you strength.”
Me: “But I’m so weak, Lord.”
God: “Do you trust me?”
Me: “Yes.”
God: “Then stop crying and start trusting. I’ve got this.”
Then I get out of the shower and move on. One day at a time. I suddenly feel refreshed and energized. He’s got this. My PT comes and says I am doing betting than I should be for how weak my muscles are. He’s got this.
Friday, October 21 – good day.
I wake up strong. I can do anything. I’m no longer relying on my own strength, so there’s not much I can’t do. I’m walking stronger and feeling more confident. I seem to have found a nice balance with my meds. I can do anything through Him who gives me strength.
Saturday, October 22 – church day.
We get relatively good sleep (the toddler has been sick with a cold all week). Then to church and later to a friend’s house for supper and a visit. 


Abi said...

With God, anything is possible. Much love! I'm glad that you are doing better!!

madin said...

More replica watchesthan the home of the legendary Royal Oak,replica audemars piguet Royal Oak Offshore, and Renaud et Papi’s grand complications, Audemars Piguet is the largest Swiss watchmaking brand still owned and guided by members of the original founding families.

cas anderson (2016) . Powered by Blogger.